Monday, May 1, 2017

Final Blog Post


I never thought I would make it this far. I was a technology dinosaur. I was good at internet searches, Word, checking my email, and I could muster through simple internet sites. 

created by A.Stewart via Mematic



I remember the first "day" of this class, we did a survey type assignment to see what we knew and what we were familiar with. I remember thinking "what are most of these things?" What is a wiki, or a prezi? I had no idea how I would do in this class, and I was so nervous. I dreaded this class. I was nervous that I would fall behind, and be left in the dust. I saw the syllabus and the wiki had me panicked. 

created by A. Stewart via Mematic app


I was so happy to do well in this class. I was excited for my creations, and how I was challenged to create new tools each week. I will admit, for some, I had to Youtube, just to see how they worked, but I enjoyed the challenge. I was pushed out of my AOL comfort zone, and pushed to make new Web 2.0 creations. 

Some creations worked better for me than others. I really liked Toon Doo, it was fun and can be adapted to fit any use. I also loved Story Bird. I have been writing books on the site and using them for my children and their homework. I am even considering writing a long form book, just to see how it comes out. 

On the other side, QuestGarden was not a good fit for me. The website was easy to use, but it would freeze up and kick me out, then my computer would tell me the website is a trojan horse.

Created by A. Stewart via Mematic app

I really enjoyed the pizza rubric and the creating the rubric assignment. I had never created one before, and although the Rubistar was an option, I still preferred making my own. I also enjoyed evaluating a website. That is important, because you can not believe everything on the internet. I think evaluating websites could be the most important thing we learned. I would never want my students reading false news, or click bait, and believing it to be true.



Here is a short video I created to show my level of both comfort and confidence with my new tools!

In all, I am so glad I took this class. I am glad it is a requirement, because technology is not going away. I believe a teacher's job is to prepare his or her students for the future, and technology is our future. I believe that regardless of the age level, all students should be exposed to technology.

As far as feedback goes, I only have positive things to say. After all, you did teach this old dog a few new tricks, which is no easy feat. I enjoyed the content of the class, as well as the webcasts you did, those were helpful because they created a visual virtual lecture. I also really appreciate your prompt replies on my questions. I felt that you were right there with me, and your answers talked me off a ledge more than once.

 If I had to pick a least favorite module, it would have been the collaborative works. It is a personal preference to not work with others. I loathe waiting for others to get their work done, and I much prefer to work alone, simply because  I know the caliber of work I deliver, and it is not easy to depend on others. Reading that back in my head, I sound like a control freak, but I do prefer to put in 100% on my work. When I have to wait for others, that is the worst. But that is an Angela problem and not a Professor Coleman problem. In the end, I enjoyed the course, and enjoyed what I have learned. I am continuing with my technology skills by "playing" around with websites. I think my new favorite website is out there, waiting to be discovered.


Resources:


Maloy, Robert W., Ruth-Ellen Verock-O'Loughlin, Sharon A. Edwards, and Beverly Park Woolf. Transforming learning with new technologies. Boston: Pearson, 2017. Print.



Stewart, Angela B. "Untitled." Rawshorts.com. N.p., 01 May 2017. Web. 01 May 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment