Sunday, February 26, 2017

Chapter 10



My reading this week gave me some great ideas. I was able to relate ideas in the book to my own experiences, the ideas as to what I think might work in my future classroom.

 I also took the liberty to ask them teachers what their thoughts were on assistive Technologies and what they'd seen work and not.

I recognized differential instruction as something I've done I really liked it because I was able to be paired up with people on my level so there was not much down time waiting for classmates to catch up or for my classmates waiting for me to catch up. For Universal designs a good idea however with more ESE students being placed in the general education classroom, how teachers can bridge the gap between general education and ESE learners.

The first thing a teacher has to understand, accommodations simply means lessons are equal however just changed a bit. (picture a hard of hearing student with the aid of a microphone).

Modifications means the students education is lessened, (think of a slow reader having to solve fewer questions making him not perform like the rest of the class.)

It is important to understand the difference so you are not listening a child education.




Courtesy Teachings in Education via youtube



There are many assistive Technologies available to teachers to help have an effective Universal designed classroom.

Students have difficulty with communicating can make use of various tools such as Piclit. Piclit website that allows students to choose a photo and drop down menu of words giving the student the ability to click and drag words to communicate. Use of this site could help with students and their writing by arranging words into a picture, then turning into main ideas then a rough outline.

For students with difficulty writing and organizing their writing, speechnotes that allows talk-to-text technology this could also be helpful in note-taking for students.

There are assistive Technologies available on iPad many of the ones that schools use are visually based, with colorful fonts, and optional music. Many of them feature click and drag activities, to better facilitate all learning styles.The teacher gave me examples of sites such as Sumdog, Compassmath, and ReadingStreet. The teacher said the district pays for use of those sites, but has seen progress with her students after using them.


I know technologies are always changing, once again to the classroom, technologies available. Look forward to exploring these available Technologies to help meet the needs of all of my students.

** As an interesting fact, this blog was dictated, all using the Speechnotes website.


Resources:

(2016, August 27). Retrieved February 25, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6rT2_fn4u0

Create a PicLit | Inspired Picture Writing. (n.d.). Retrieved February 24, 2017, from http://www.piclits.com/

Speechnotes | Speech to Text Online Notepad. (n.d.). Retrieved February 24, 2017, from https://www.bing.com/cr?IG=7246C17A88C440929FE5D804C64479B9&CID=0CEE662224BE672F33836C14258F6636&rd=1&h=iBziEFoeW6ZTYYwlmH1e2Zdo8-ACiMBg8rRZQJBOM7c&v=1&r=https%3a%2f%2fspeechnotes.co%2f&p=DevEx,5063.1

Maloy, R. W., Verock-O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S. A., & Woolf, B. P. (2015). Transforming learning with new technologies. Boston: Pearson.



No comments:

Post a Comment